Sunday, November 12, 2006

Day 4: Takeo - Khep (104 km)



So Takeo was not the "camping" style that I was hoping for. However, it was a lot different from the regular hotel. Washing under a hose while straddling the toilet, is a bit camplike, I guess. Oh and our luggage being left and having to wear our dirty (very dirty: grease, sweat, dirt, muddy/mirky water, and other questionable and mysterious substances) added to the camping aspect, I guess. Another aspect may have been that the rough roads from the day before which made my chain fall off at least 3 times (keeping track was depressing/frustrating me). Oh and then for good measure my chain decided to fall off right when I left the hotel and entered into the middle of traffic. Classic. Wish I had a picture of that. I can honestly say that the guide that was next to me gave me a very annoyed look, which I passed on to my bike (affectionately called Gopher 2).



With having begun the day with such a wonderful start. I biked alone to the local Cambodian restaurant. Here, Louise and I decided to sit at a table full of locals. Since Louise is a very pretty blonde, the entire focus of our policemen tablemates shifted from me asking them their names to a silent stare over of Louise. I swear that before Louise's arrival these men spoke better English. Once she arrived and started asking questions they suddenly didn't understand anything. I have theories on that, but they're best kept unwritten.



After breakfast we all set out on the day's ride. I battled my strong desire to fall asleep and tried my darndest to stay on the road. The replaying of all the warnings and horror stories of my colleague about all the landmines in the rice paddies kept me awake. Ironically, this is the day that we witnessed a landmine explode off in the fields. Comforting. Wide awake, I was.

Never was I more grateful for the breaks than today. They couldn't come fast enough. In fact this was the only reason I rode semi-fast today. I figured the sooner I got there, the longer I got to rest. The last photo is a good example of our breaks and how tired we were. Something about riding your bike in 35+C (100 +F) and 90% humidity robs you of energy. Curious thing. Unfortunately, my riding fast, focusing on not falling asleep and getting as much rest at the breaks meant minimal photo taking. So the photos for this day are mainly repeats of other days. Sorry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home