Thursday, November 09, 2006

Day 3: Tue 31st Oct - Phnom Penh - Takeo (75 km)

"Leaving the capital behind for another early start along the mighty Mekong River and then into Cambodia's rural heartland. Lots of interaction with friendly Khmers makes this a fun day and after 55km we take a short un-tarred section to lunch at the pagoda of Phnom Chi Sou - an interesting Angkor period temple still in good repair. The last 28km this afternoon start with a rough road to get back onto the tarred section that will bring us into Takeo where we stay tonight in a basic Cambodian hotel."



Well this is what we were told in the itenerary. It was all true, but they couldn't really prepare us for the CRAZY traffic and construction leaving Phnom Penh!! Something in me just loves traffic. I don't know what it is but I found the traffic to be a rush while most others were stressed or cautious. At one point we had to cross a one lane bridge, that like in many developing nations becomes a two or three lane bridge, and I heard some music off to my left, so I had to start dancing to it. Yes, I was still on my bike. Well during this bridge crossing/dancing moment, I got a bit separated from the group cause, the group in front of me and the group behind me were a bit more wisely cautious. Once I got to the other side, I sped up to catch up with the other group and just carried on with the traffic.

Also, the "un-tarred section" was an understatement. This section made me truly appreciate the "tarred" sections. The road was so bumpy, hole infested, and rocky that my chain fell of at least three times. It could have been more, I lost track. Aside from the chain falling off, the bumpy, off-roading was a serious rush. Especially after lunch when we got to go really fast and weave in and out, up and down the bumpy dirt road.



After lunch we finished in Takeo. Which was a small town and probably had not seen many foreigners before. I was excited because the place was described to us as a bit like camping. So I was thinking native huts or the like. But it was a hotel that didn't have a shower, AC, was in this small town, etc. I guess not having the modern conventions did affect me because I didn't sleep at all this night. I ended up sitting out on the balcony listening to the geckos, watching them chase and fight each other, searching for the guard dog so that I could play with him, listening to my iPod, eating one of my energy bars. Ya that last one was a bit stupid. Duh, Devin when you can't sleep, eating an energy bar is the smartest thing to do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home